This is obviously not a financial advice blog, but if you're writing for money, or a trying to make a living as a freelance writer, you have to spend a certain amount of time thinking about the money.

One concern I always have when I sign up at a new site is the security of my personal information. More and more sites are requesting bank account information to make payments. This makes me nervous. I don't really want just anyone having access to my bank account. I was also burned once with a site removing double payments from my account. It took the better part of a year to get my money back. So my advice to all freelance writers, and anyone conducting regular business online, is to never grant any site access to your regular checking account.

So how do you still work within their request for an account number? The solution I have found is a prepaid debit card.

I don't know if all companies do this the same way, but the All Access Visa re-loadable card gives you a personalized card as well as a checking account number and routing number that you can use to have deposits made directly into your account. You can use these numbers anywhere that a site asks you for a bank account number and it works just like a checking account, but without the paper checks. Paypal will also make direct transfers to the account if you like.

The other alternative is to set up a separate checking account specifically for use with sites that require it. It really is a matter of personal preference, but for me, it's easier to keep track of the prepaid debit card than than to keep track of another regular checking account and deal with the bank. Also, All Access will send alerts to my cell phone any time there are any transactions in the account. I really like this service. I can also send a short text to check my balance at any time.

I keep limited funds in the account so that if anyone did try to access the account the amount of damage they could do is limited. The same applies if someone tried to use the card to make a purchase.

So, no matter whether you choose to use a prepaid debit card or a separate checking account, I **strongly** urge all freelance writers to protect themselves and never use their regular checking account to send or receive writing payments online.

-
Shameless plug: $5 for you, $5 for me. All Access Visa does have a referral program. If you decide you want to sign up, use this referral code: 1840599934 at www.mynetspendcard.com and All Access will deposit $5 in your new account to get you started. I'll also get $5 for referring you. You don't have to use the referral though. As I said earlier, no matter what service or bank or method you decide to use, I encourage all freelancers to protect themselves online by setting up an account just for that purpose.

Happy writing!

Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

0 comments